Hey y’all! I don’t know if you’ve noticed it’s been a bit quiet over here on the blog and especially on my Instagram. That’s because I am currently without a cellphone and my camera had been down as well! I’ve been taking a bit of a break while doing some branding finalization thoughts as well as losing a pretty essential parts of my blogging life. I’ve also been updating and changing up some older posts! Stay tuned for all of this!
I however did want to jump on today to share and celebrate my little lady’s birthday! The Princess turns 8 today…8! I can hardly believe I’m the mama to an 8 year old. I feel so very old.
My Princess is by far the most challenging child I parent, but she’s also the sweetest soul around. Her heart sings with joy for the Lord, she loves to read her bible and share His love. She’s fiercely intelligent and she loves people. I am so proud of who she is becoming-this is the third birthday we’ve celebrated as a family for her and every year I’m astonished to see how much she has changed and grown.
Birthdays are such a big deal nowadays for kids. We see all the Pinterest ideas for parties and first birthday craziness around and it’s easy to get lost into the intensity that parties have become. I don’t know about you, but with six kids, 6 siblings and some pretty crazy schedules, it’s far too much to do over the top birthday parties for each of our kids. Instead, we’ve opted to go along with a smaller family party for them and then some fun birthday traditions. I recommend this; it makes birthdays more personal and less insane.
Some ideas for fun birthday traditions to do or start?
- Special birthday breakfast or dinner. We opt to do a special dinner-we make what their favorite food is! For Doodle, we had corned beef and cabbage and Princess wants pancakes!
- Decorate the bedroom. I’ve never done this but you can see a bunch of ideas for this on Pinterest!
- Special dinners out. We discussed doing this but with Josh working it wasn’t going to happen.
- Movie of their choice. Let them pick the treat, the movie, and then enjoy as a family!
- Pick their own presents. I think this is such a great idea! I have yet to do it but you can’t go wrong.
- Birthday Praises. I just came up with this idea actually, and I can’t wait to start it! Each child has a notebook and you write the year on it and have people write comments or messages of love on it each year. I can not wait to start this up! It goes right along with my love language.
- Their own birthday notes. Have them(or help them) write their own birthday cards for themselves to open on their next birthday! We are also starting this one this birthday!
- Give back with them. In honor of their birthday(and probably new clothes/toys if your family is like ours) go through older clothes to donate. Or talk about donating money they may receive to charities that are important with them and why that specific charity is important.
- Have a special prayer you share with them. My great grandma, GG, prayed a special prayer over us every year. My mom posted it on Facebook a year or so back, and I’ve shared it with them on their birthdays since. It means so much to us since it’s a family thing.
What do your families do for birthdays?! Any special traditions?